GETTING THERE - plane, train, buses, cars to Chamonix Valley
Only one hour from Geneva, the Chamonix Valley is one of the easiest French resorts to get to from the UK and now, with low cost airlines and special deals on ferry crossings, one of the most affordable.
>> BY PLANE...
Several low cost airlines offer direct flights to Geneva from various UK airports (for lowest prices book early)
Scheduled airlines offering regular flights to Geneva:
BACK TO TOP
GENEVA AIRPORT TO CHALET SHIRAZ
1) CAR HIRE:
Many people find it useful to have their own vehicle, as the main ski areas are not connected by lifts. There are several car rental companies to choose from, and parking at the chalet is plentiful.
We are able to arrange transfers on request at a cost of €40 p.p. one way. This is possibly the quickest and simplest way, as you will be greeted at the airport and driven directly to the chalet, with no waiting.
There are 5 coaches per day during the weekend from Geneva airport to Chamonix, departing at 08:00, 11:00, 13:50, 15:45 and 18:40. The journey takes approximately 1hr 50mins and costs around €30. If arriving by coach, please let us know, and we’ll meet you at the station.
4) DIRECTIONS TO THE CHALET:
- From Geneva, take the A40 and follow signs to Chamonix (tolls €1.40 + €3.60).
- After 80kms you will go over a viaduct into the Chamonix Valley.
- Les Houches is the first ski resort that you come to as you enter the Chamonix Valley (after second tunnel).
- Take the 2nd Les Houches turnoff to your right (Sign "St Antoine"). Drive straight till mini "roundabout" where you turn left.
- After approx 50m turn right into Chemin St Antoine. After 200m turn right into Chemin du Genevray
- Ignore fork to left and drive straight into chalet car park
>> BY CAR...
Self drive is a cost effective means of travelling, which offers greater flexibility and the opportunity to bring more luggage and ski equipment.
For the fastest channel crossing (35 mins), use EuroTunnel.
HoverSpeed: operate regular services in the Dover-Calais route. Journey time is 35 mins by Hovercraft and 50 mins by Seacat.
The journey to Chamonix takes approximately 8 – 10 hours from Calais, with excellent road links. Direct access is via the “Autoroute Blanche” motorway. Don’t forget to allow money for the tolls (péage), which accept cash and credit cards. It is best to be prepared and buy snow chains for the journey up to Chamonix. Most garages en route will sell them.
FERRIES AND TUNNEL
BREAKDOWN COVER AND GENERAL MOTORING INFORMATION
- RAC: Online motoring advice, route planners, breakdown insurance
- AA: Online motoring advice, breakdown insurance
- Green Flag: Online motoring advice, breakdown insurance
- The Roof Box Company: Online ordering for snowchains, roof boxes and ski racks
- Snowchains.co.uk: Snowchains to hire and buy, plus roofboxes and ski racks to hire. Located 5 mins from the A20 in Kent, enabling you to pick up and return goods on the way to Dover/Folkstone (24hr drop off facility).
- A valid UK Driving Licence is required.
- Adequate breakdown cover.
- A Green Card and Motor Insurance certificate is recommended. Motorists should carry evidence of motor insurance (insurance certificate). A Green Card provides additional proof that the minimum legal third party cover is held. For further advice, please contact your insurance company.
- Wearing your seatbelt is compulsory.
- Motorway tolls charged.
- Petrol, diesel and LPG available. Lead replacement petrol (LRP) is available and is indicated on pumps as “supercarburant”.
- Children under 10 are forbidden to travel in the front seat.
- Snowchains, De-icer, Scraper etc
BACK TO TOP
>> BY TRAIN...
You can travel by train from London to St Gervais, which is a 20 minute drive from the chalet. The Eurostar train leaves Waterloo every evening and via Paris, provides a connection to the overnight train to St Gervais.
>> BY COACH...
This is one of the cheapest ways to get to Chamonix.
- Eurolines offer a direct coach service from London Victoria coach station at bargain prices. Coaches normally depart on a Friday afternoon and arrive at Chamonix train station at lunchtime on Saturday. For further details, contact EuroLines: 08705 143219.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other queries regarding getting here.
We wish you a safe and pleasant journey.
BACK TO TOP